Why is it important for migrant women to support each other?
Thanks to the Cyprus Migrant Women’s Forum, it is easier to follow and promote such essential principles, as:
- Equality of all persons, which entails their right to equal treatment on any ground and as regards any sector of the socioeconomic life , the right to dignity and respect, equal opportunities and free and equal participation in the social sphere.
- Feminism, which entails a focus on the right to equality for women and non-binary persons, recognising that in the patriarchal societies we live in, women and non-binary persons experience violence and oppression because of sexism.
- Antiracism, which entails a focus on the right to equality for migrant women and non-binary persons, recognising that in the societies we live in, migrants, and in particular migrant women, experience violence, oppression and discrimination, because of racism and xenophobia.
- The right of migrant women to live in a society free from violence, discrimination, and oppression.
- The importance of migrant women-centred services. Migrant women need access to safe, non-judgemental services.
- The importance of migrant women’s active participation in any field that concerns them.
- The importance of migrant women’s self-organisation.